We are pleased to announce very soon the course schedule for the PhD Excellence Program for Fall 2021!
Courses marked with an asterisk * can only be attended by participants of the DSI Excellence Program. The remaining courses are also open to other doctoral students, provided that there are enough places available. In case of doubt, please read the information on the target groups of a course in the UZH course catalogue. You can find the course offerings under Further Offers > UZH Digital Society Initiative Excellence Program.
The course language of all courses is English.
Unless otherwise noted, the courses listed below are booked via the UZH module booking tool. Please note the booking information as well as the booking and cancellation deadlines listed in the course catalog!
Start of the booking period:
Registration and Cancellation Terms & Conditions
- Module bookings in the module booking tool can only be made within the module booking period and only after payment of the semester fees.
- You are responsible for monitoring your bookings and cancellations. This includes checking whether the bookings or cancellations you have made have been carried out correctly.
- Cancellations can be made using the module booking tool until the cancellation deadline. After the cancellation deadline, cancellations are only possible in exceptional cases and you must contact the DSI Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to do so. Cancellations where only the lecturer is notified are not valid.
- For technical reasons, there are no waiting lists for courses booked via the module booking tool. We recommend that you use the UZH module booking tool to check for available space, especially 2-3 weeks before the course starts (in the period between the cancellation and booking deadline).
Performance Assessment and ECTS Credits
- For a booked course, the performance assessment must be passed, regardless of whether ECTS credits are needed or not. Otherwise the course is considered as "failed" in your transcript of records.
- ECTS credits can only be earned if the course's performance assessment is passed.
- It is up to the faculties to decide whether a successfully completed DSI course will be considered as a curricular part of the doctoral program and whether ECTS credits will be credited. There is no general entitlement to the recognition or crediting of performance. It is therefore strongly recommended that doctoral students inform themselves about their institute's regulations regarding recognition and crediting before they take a course offered by the DSI. Ideally, recognition and crediting should be discussed with the supervisor before registration.
- For participants of the DSI Excellence Program, successfully completed DSI courses are part of their DSI program requirements. Some institutes may consider simultaneous crediting of ECTS credits to the respective doctoral program as double crediting. In such a case, the participant may have the choice of crediting the performance either to the doctoral program or to the DSI program requirements (except for compulsory courses).
The courses that count towards the DSI Excellence Program are divided into three categories.
Compulsory modules: These courses must be successfully completed by the participants of the Excellence Program. In case of space limitations, participants of the Excellence Program have first priority.
DSI core elective modules: These courses can be chosen by the participants of the Excellence Program. The courses are offered by the DSI. In case of space limitations, participants of the Excellence Program have first priority.
Other core elective modules: These courses can be chosen by the participants of the Excellence Program. The courses are offered by other organisational units (e.g. by different faculties), but can be credited to the DSI Excellence Program. There is no prioritization for participants of the Excellence Program in case of space limitations.
DSI compulsory modules
5 Dates on Wednesdays
1) 29.9.2021, 16:30-18 (90 min)
2) 27.10.2021, 14-17:15 (180 min)
3) 10.11.2021, 14-17:15 (180 min)
4) 1.12.2021, 16:30-18 (90 min)
5) 15.12.2021, 16:30-18 (90 min)
|DSI Bootcamp||September 8-10, 2021, 9-17 h|
|Data Regulation||September 23, 2021, 9-17 h|
|Data Management and Integration||November 2-3, 2021, 9-17 h|
*The Interdisciplinary Reading Seminar is a compulsory course for the first year in the DSI Excellence Program. PhD students in the second year of the DSI Excellence Program can book the course as an elective course.
DSI core elective modules
November 23-24, 2021, 9-17 h
|Other core elective modules||Date, Location|
|Introduction to Data Science for
|September - December 2021|
20 Nov - 20 Dec 2021
|** Introduction to Interactive-Visual Data Analysis (V)||
28 Sept - 21 Dec 2021
** Doctoral students from the DSI Excellence Program who wish to take the course "Introduction to Interactive-Visual Data Analysis (V)" will receive 1 ECTS as credit if they pass the course. (Active participation and two homework assignments). More information about the course description can be found here.
To book this course please send an email to email@example.com